Do you ever find yourself staring at a blank screen, wondering how to breathe life into your content? You’re not alone. Content creators often grapple with the challenge of staying fresh and relevant. The good news? The solution might be outside your “box.“
What Is Cross-Industry Content Creation?
Imagine that it’s dinnertime. You’re facing the daunting task of creating a meal that pleases everyone in your household.
You’ve got the ingredients, the tools, and a (super cute) recipe box full of inspiration, but you’re struggling to decide what to cook. That’s the chaos many content creators face when they stare at a blank screen, unsure of what to create next.
But just like in the kitchen, there’s a secret sauce to creating content that sizzles and satisfies.
It’s called content research, and it involves looking beyond your industry for inspiration.
Look for inspiration Beyond Your Industry
The internet is a bustling marketplace of ideas. It’s way too easy to get lost in the crowd. And sticking solely to your industry’s trends and topics? That often leads to content that feels stale and *cringe* predictable.
But, when you look outside of your “comfort zone” (aka your niche), you:
- Stay Fresh and Innovative: Drawing from various industries introduces new perspectives, trends, and ideas into your content, preventing it from becoming repetitive.
- Attract a Wider Audience: By diversifying your content, you can appeal to a broader range of readers who may not have engaged with your industry-specific content.
- Spark Creativity: Exploring unrelated fields can stimulate your creativity and lead to unique content concepts that stand out.
- Future-Proof Your Content: Understanding how trends in other industries might impact yours can help you prepare for changes and stay ahead of the curve.
Where to Find Inspiration
To effectively expand your horizons, explore these valuable resources:
- Books: Delve into books unrelated to your field. Extract concepts and ideas that can be applied creatively to your content.
- Articles: Read articles from various industries, paying attention to trends, insights, and successful strategies.
- Podcasts: Tune in to podcasts outside your niche to gain fresh perspectives and ideas.
- Industry Reports: Analyze industry reports and studies, even if they’re not directly related to your field. They often contain valuable insights.
- Facebook Ad Library: Investigate advertisements from different sectors. What hooks your attention might inspire your content approach.
Let’s consider a practical example: imagine you’re a personal trainer & dietician. While your primary focus is health and exercise, you can (and should!) look to other industries for inspiration. For example:
- Fashion: Incorporate fashion trends into your fitness content. Discuss workout attire, the psychology of clothing choices in the gym, or how fashion impacts motivation.
- Technology: Explore how wearable tech and apps are revolutionizing the fitness world. Analyze how technology trends influence workout routines and nutrition tracking.
- Travel: Connect travel experiences with fitness by discussing how to stay active while on vacation or sharing stories of fitness adventures in different locales.
But what if you’re a photographer? Well, I’d suggest that you check out some gardening content.
First, take a few hikes, walks, or trips and explore the beauty of flora and fauna through your lens. These images will appeal to nature enthusiasts and photography aficionados alike.
Then, use that “gardening” content as a way to showcase your skills while you share tips on outdoor photography, the best equipment for capturing garden shots, or even offer photo editing tutorials tailored to garden-themed images. Or, you could use your photography skills to document your own gardening journey, sharing the transformation of your garden over seasons.
Or, if you’re a coach, think about what you can learn from the travel industry.
Explore how the principles of self-discovery and personal growth align with the adventures of travel. Or create content about the life-changing experiences that can occur when individuals step out of their comfort zones.
Share anecdotes from your own travels that relate to personal development, or even offer coaching sessions tailored to helping clients achieve their travel goals and aspirations. Encourage your audience to embark on journeys both within and beyond their comfort zones.
The power of cross-industry content creation is your golden ticket to a world of fresh ideas, expanded horizons, and a more engaged audience. By borrowing inspiration from unexpected places, you breathe new life into your content, making it resonate with a broader spectrum of readers. Cross-industry content creation allows you to…
Offer Diverse Perspectives
Embracing content from various industries introduces diverse perspectives, enriching your content with fresh ideas and unique angles.
Showcase Thought Leadership
Use the content you create to further position yourself as a thought leader who isn’t confined to a single niche but has the agility to explore and excel in various domains.
Expand your Audience
Diverse content is magnetic, attracting a broader audience that might have previously overlooked your offerings.
tactics & strategies
Let’s look at some actual strategies that will allow you to expand your audience with a strategic approach, one that combines your newfound insights + actionable tactics:
- Audience Research: Understand the interests and pain points of the new audience segments you’re targeting. Tailor your content to resonate with them.
- Collaboration: Partner with influencers or experts from other industries to co-create content. This can introduce your work to their followers.
- Content Adaptation: Ensure your content remains relevant to your core audience while appealing to new readers. Strike a balance to maintain your brand identity.
- Feedback Loop: Encourage feedback from your expanded audience. Learn from their comments and adapt your content strategy accordingly.
- Consistency: Regularly integrate diverse elements into your content strategy to keep your audience engaged and attract fresh eyes.
But the best advice I can give you? Stay curious & open. Explore ‘other’ industries for inspiration, and push past creative boundaries while you harness the expansive world of cross-industry content, and allow your ideas to flourish like never before.
Trust me, your audience is waiting for the fresh and innovative ideas that cross-industry content creation can bring to the table (even if they don’t know it yet).
YOU MADE IT!
HIGHFIVEFRIEND! Want more helpful tips, tricks, and tools to make your dream clients say “HELL YES” (of course you do!)? Get the Word Nerd Digest in your inbox!